As winter takes its last dying breaths (please...), let's take a moment to reflect on some of the pleasures and pitfalls of winter dressing. I'd like to address a disconcerting trend that became unavoidable on the streets of New York this year, which highlighted a collective state of mind that both baffles and troubles me. I am talking ladies and gentlemen about the knit animal hat. You know, the sock monkey or owl or cow that men, women and children have been savagely strapping to their heads for the past few months, turning our fair city into a giant low-budget Six Flags character meet and great. I for one am not amused. Now, I am clearly fine with bold fashion statements, but miffed that the hat, which has been swept under the rug for decades as an outdated and awkward accessory, should be making its presence known again in this unlovely guise. For every poor elephant braving the cold from atop someone's head, I can't help but think of all the beautiful and chic vintage hats I see languishing in dusty bins or even crushed in piles at resale stores, that would so happily replace them. But alas, they wither away because shoppers think they would look silly wearing them. Now, I ask you objectively, which looks sillier-
this:
or this:
See what I mean? That guy in the stock photo even looks embarrassed and he's a stock photo model.
Really though, on what planet is scalping a panda bear less daunting than donning a cute little cap that perfectly sets off your hair do and pulls together any outfit? Not a planet I want to live on. So I say we leave the animals to roam free and instead look to those who are in real need of a loving home- adopt a vintage hat today! No spay or neuter necessary!
Lets take a look at some adoption success stories- hats I have welcomed into my own wardrobe where they frolic and thrive:
This little pink 40's fur felt hat was actually quite a sob story. Cast off on in a cardboard box where no one could see its beauty, I rescued it for the small fee of $8.
I found this adorable golden 30's chapeau at Molte Cose, one of my favorite stores in San Francisco. It was in the window just begging to be taken home.
No one realized that this lovely raffia hat was a pure bred when they sold it to me for $7. It's labeled Chanda, which turns out to be a very famous hat designer of the 40's and 50's, worn by celebrities and other fancy ladies, and now by me!
I received this 30's beaded cloche from my dear friend Izzy, of Umbrella Suicides, as a Christmas gift. She understands, and wouldn't be caught dead with a moose on her head.
A deep blue velvet 40's hat, which is unfortunately hard to photograph on a brunette. Rest assured it does very well for itself in person.
Another sad pathetic refugee from a thrift store in Texas. Despite being literally found on the floor, it is in perfect condition.
These hats make me very happy and I know there are so many more out there just waiting for their forever home. Just remember, you shouldn't have to feed your hat; your hat should feed you.


No comments:
Post a Comment